Tuesday, January 6, 2009

English Toffee

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 cup Butter
  • 1 1/4 cup Sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. Water
  • 1 tsp. Vanilla
  • 1/4 cup Sliced Almonds or pecan chips
  • 1 cup Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips

DIRECTIONS:

1. Bring to boil the butter, water and sugar on medium heat.

2. When you reach a boil add the vanilla and almonds. Stir constantly.

If you have a thermometer- you want it to reach 300 degrees. (I will do 310 degrees next time for a hard crack toffee. It was still a little soft at 300 degrees)
Without a thermometer- You will boil for about 15 minutes. Watch the toffee carefully. It will get really bubbly/marshmallowy like then it will collapse. After it collapses, it will be done in a couple minutes. You want to take it off the heat when it turns a light brown color. (little darker than the picture below). It will taste burnt if you cook it too long.

I think next time I will use half the butter because there was a lot of excess butter when I was done cooking it, so I drained it out. I am going to use 1 cup of sugar instead of 1 1/4 cup too.

3. When done cooking the toffee, immediately spread
it onto a baking sheet.

4. Melt the Chocolate chips in the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes
(or until melted) stirring every 30 seconds. Spread onto toffee and sprinkle with nuts.

5. When it is set- crack into pieces.

*** Here I am talking like I know how to make toffee.... I really don't!!! I have never made toffee before or any holiday candy! This toffee turned out a little soft for my liking, but it was still good. My family ate it all anyway! This recipe is very simple and good, but I remember my Mom's Toffee tasting so super good, so I will have to get her recipe sometime!

0 comments: