Saturday, February 18, 2012

Crispy Southwest Chicken wrap + homemade tortilla

My husband loves a good ol' "Tyson burrito" (Ranch beans, rice, cheese and green taco sauce), but he loves this new creation even more. I found THIS recipe, but I switched things up a bit to make it Tyson burrito style. My husband would eat this daily if I made it for him!! We all really like it.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 c. Chicken
  • 1 can Ranch Beans
  • 1 c. Rice, cooked
  • 1 (7 oz) can Salsa Verde
  • 1/2 c. diced Green bell pepper
  • 1 green onion, excluding the white part
  • 1/4 c. Cilantro
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 2 t. Chili powder
  • 1 t. Cumin
  • 1/2 t. Garlic salt
  • Shredded Mozzerella Cheese or fiesta blend cheese
  • Sour cream
  • tortillas

I used to always make these with green taco sauce, but this last time I used salsa verde instead and it was SO good!

DIRECTIONS:

  1. Cook chicken in small pot of water. Shred when done.
  2. Add in all ingredients to the pot, excluding the last 3 ingredients and heat through. *Add the salsa verde in to taste. I use almost the full can.
  3. Lay out the tortilla. Spread on some sour cream (must use!). Sprinkle on cheese and spoon on some bean mixture.
  4. Place seam side down on a hot griddle or pan. Turn once to get both sides nice and crispy.

*This is a quick meal, but if you make the homemade tortillas it will take a little time. Tortilla recipe below...

Cafe Rio flour tortilla
makes 6 tortillas
Recipe from Tastebook.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 3 c. flour
  • 1 1/2 t. salt
  • 2 t. baking powder
  • 3/4 c. shortening
  • 3/4 c. Hot water

DIRECTIONS: *I used my kitchenAid mixer, but this can be done by hand.

  1. Combine flour, salt and baking powder.
  2. Mix in the shortening until the dough forms small crumb.
  3. Gradually add in water until the dough comes together. (I had to add in extra water)
  4. Mix with dough hook or knead for 3 minutes until smooth.
  5. Plop the dough on the counter and cover with a damp towel. *Let sit for 1 hour*
  6. Roll out tortillas. Can use a plate over the dough to trim around for a perfect circle. Keep covered with slightly damp towel.
  7. Heat over med/high heat in pan. Cook for a minute or until no longer doughy. DO NOT OVERCOOK.

*I used bread flour because I'm out of all purpose flour. I rolled it out very thin, but it still made for a thicker tortilla. It was good! Gotta heat it longer in the pan though.

0 comments: