Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Super Slow Sloppy Joes

I got this recipe from my Rival Slow Cooker cookbook.
My hubs looooves Sloppy Joes. It hasn't ever been my favorite, but I do really like this recipe!! It is WAY better then the canned stuff!

INGREDIENTS:
  • 3 lbs lean ground beef or turkey
  • 1 c. onion, chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 1/4 c. ketchup
  • 1 c. chopped bell pepper (red or green)
  • 5 T. Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1/4 c. brown sugar
  • 3 T. vinegar
  • 3 T. mustard
  • 2 t. chili powder
  • Hamburger Buns

DIRECTIONS:

  1. Brown the meat with the onion and garlic in a large skillet over med-high heat. Brown in 2 batches if needed and stir to separate the meat. Drain the fat.
  2. Combine all other ingredients (excluding the buns of course) in the crock pot. Add in the beef mixture.
  3. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve on hamburger buns. May add cheddar cheese on top if you prefer!

*I add in an additional 1-2 T. mustard for extra tang. I'm sure you can heat this all up on the stove if you didn't put it in the crock pot earlier in the day. I would just simmer it all for at least 20 minutes after browning the meat. It really tastes great in the crock pot though! It's tender and flavorful.


sloppy joes. slop. sloppy joes.... yum.

0 comments: